Do you make New Year's resolutions? I've long had a love/hate relationship with New Years and resolutions in general. I don't like change and I hate letting go. So resolutions and me haven't exactly been best friends over the years.
Earlier this year, I did make some goals for 2015, albeit mostly small ones. Here's how those ended up:
1. wear nice pajamas. mostly done! I have some nice pajamas and am continuing to build my collection.
2. go to the park as much as possible. done! we spent many warm days at the park and went at every possible opportunity.
3. do less. something we could continue to work on, but we did have some nice weekend days on our terrace, around jersey city and just lounging at home. so I'll say we sort of nailed this one.
4. finally watch the wire. nope, not even close. but, I did watch The Affair, also with Dominic West...does that count?
5. do some blog updating. done! TAA went through a total redesign in 2015.
So in my book, 4 out of 5 isn't too shabby!
This year, I actually feel a little differently about goal setting. I feel ready to make some changes in my life and excited for all the possibilities of the new year. I've broken them down by category in hopes to organize a bit better. Let's get down to it!
1. Take a girls trip with my mom & sisters. We went to Charleston in 2014, but bypassed our trip in 2015 due to crazy schedules and preparing for Kim's wedding (also on my goal list - finally share that recap/photos!). I really want to do another weekend away with them in 2016. I think New Orleans is in the mix...
2. Take a girls trip with my college girlfriends. We all live all over the country and so I really want to plan a weekend away where we can all spend some quality time together.
3. Go on an Atlantic City getaway. I'd really like to have a little AC getaway with Shaun this year. We've gone in the past and had a blast, so I'd like to get there...fast.
4. Simplify weeknight dinners. I'm going to be more open to healthy heat and eat dinners for my own sanity and waistline. I'm not going to spend lots of time preparing food on a weeknight.
5. Get rid of paperwork. I feel so bogged down by paperwork at home. I plan to begin scanning or taking photos of documents for which I don't actually need hard copies.
6. Add storage to key areas in my home. My immediate plan is our entry way, out desk area and our master bathroom.
7. Get out the door and to work on time. I always struggle with punctuality in every aspect of my life but work is a place where I really enjoy arriving early. I know excuses are lame but it really is a challenge to get Penelope up and out the door and off to daycare while still getting to work on time. It's a real challenge but I've been waking up fifteen minutes earlier and that's helping! So far so good!
8. Get back to our monthly date nights. I think we did ok last year with date nights but I want to really make sure we pay attention to this one. January is already covered: this Saturday we are seeing Fiddler on the Roof and hopefully sneaking in a quick dinner.
9. Work on my posture. You guys, it's so bad. If there's one thing this year that I hope to change physically it's my posture. I carry all my stress in my shoulders and they often feel quite literally weighed down. So I've been making a more conscious effort to sit and stand up straight as well as doing daily elongating stretches to help loosen things up.
10. Lose a little weight. I know it's a classic resolution but somehow I've gained about 20 pounds since I lost so much weight last year and I'm just not happy with pants that barely fit and tops that bunch at the shoulders. It's just not good.
11. Listen to less podcasts + read more books. You know I love a good podcast but I've also noticed that I've given up reading in favor of listening, and I don't love that. So my goal is to read one book a month in 2016.
So there you have it. It feels like a long list, but I feel really excited and motivated to begin tackling it all!
Do you make New Year's goals or resolutions? Share some with me and we'll get motivated together!