Somehow my 29th year has been flying by and now it's only about 5 months until I turn 30! Gah! How did that happen?
Anyhow, in case you are new around here, I put together a list of 30 things that I want to accomplish by the time I turn 30, coming this July 15. It's been quite a while since I gave an update on this (and to be honest, I'm intrigued myself to see how I'm doing!) so here you go!
1. Learn how to knit
2. Learn how to use a sewing machine
I'm certainly no pro, but at least I understand the mechanics of how it works! Now I've just got to practice...
3. Start taking vitamins (for real. Not just buying them & stashing them under the sink)
I'm doing even better...taking vitamins and calcium chews!
4. Lose 10-15 pounds and maintain it (!!)
I have a long way to go on this one
5. Be better about correspondence with friends; Skype with the friends I’m missing across the country!
I was doing great on this in the fall and then the holidays threw me off. Ready to pick it back up again Maggie?!
6. Learn how to properly use my DSLR - the manual setting, white balance, the whole shebang!
7. Get our entire home painted via professional painter and lit via professional electrician
So happy that this is done! It is life changing!
8. Organize our den/office so that it is cute and inviting...not serving as a giant storage closet
This is on it's way! We have Shaun's desk and filing cabinet set up and did a serious detox. We have a little more work to do before I can cross this off!
9. Call my Dad once a week
I haven't done this, but I see him almost once a week!
10. Call, Skype or email with my sister Christine at least once a week
11. Find freelance assignments
12. Write a book
13. Meet my Dad for lunch or dinner in New York City
14. Devise organizational system for my shoes
This just happened! Check out my shoe detox.
15. Find a spot for my cookbooks where they will be easily accessible...and used!
I started my kitchen office nook and just need to hang the shelves where the books will reside.
16. Watch 10 classic films
17. Try bone marrow
18. Get my wedding album made (before our 4th anniversary)
19. Read 5 classic novels (suggestions?)
20. Visit a new US city
In October, we traveled to New Mexico and visited Albuquerque and Santa Fe.
21. Make a budget & stick to it, making it possible to grow our savings!
I've been trying to sock away money like it's my job.
22. Unplug - turn off my computer at a reasonable hour after work. Put the Blackberry on silence. Enjoy quality time with my husband that isn’t disrupted by Facebook, Twitter, the blog, work emails, etc.
I have been much better about this, especially on the weeknights! I hardly even turn on my computer once I get home from work and the iPhone only gets checked once or twice.
23. Make things happen for myself, instead of waiting for them to happen to me.
Always a work in progress, but I feel like I'm in a good place with this.
24. Buy a piece of art. It doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive. But something Shaun and I like!
25. Learn how to make my mom’s famous tomato sauce & meatballs
26. Make at least one new recipe from each cookbook in my collection
Rocco DiSpirito's Now Eat This: Sloppy Joe's
America’s Test Kitchen - Chewy Sugar Cookies
Betty Crocker Cooky Book - Trix Cookies (morphed into Golden Grahams cookies), Date Bars (adapted into ooey gooey marshmallow chocolate bars)
Peas & Thank You - Spanish Quinoa, Chocolate Chip Cookies w/Sea Salt
Wine + Food - Pork Loin with Apple Chutney
Better Homes + Gardens - Kalamata Lemon Chicken
Muffins - Strawberry Yogurt Muffins
28. Eat at 10 new restaurants in New York City
29. Make a Top 30 Of All Time playlist...what would your list include?
30. Take time to enjoy life, recognize how lucky I am and spend time with my husband, family and friends. At the end of the day, that's what matters, right?
Always a work in progress, but I think I've really taken time to do this over the last months.
So there you have it. I still have a lot to cover on this list! But I'm pretty happy with my progress thus far :)
Question of the Day:
What are you tackling lately?
Do you have any lists like this?